Pillen Family Farms' Animal Welfare Policy
Each Team Member has a moral and ethical obligation to provide humane treatment to all pigs in their care. Pillen Family Farms is committed to ensuring complete compliance with the Nebraska Livestock Animal Welfare Act and the National Pork Board’s PQA Plus Program. Willful abuse, cruelty, and/or neglect of animals is unacceptable and will not be tolerated under any circumstances.
Code of Practice
Pillen Family Farms is committed to the following practices:
- Providing facilities to protect and shelter pigs from weather extremes;
- Providing well-kept facilities to allow safe and humane housing and movement of pigs;
- Providing personnel with training to properly handle each stage of production;
- Providing access to clean water, nutritionally balanced diets, and fresh air;
- Observing of pigs to ensure basic needs are being met;
- Providing prompt veterinary medical care when illness or injury are present;
- Using humane methods to euthanize sick or injured pigs not responding to treatment
- Maintaining biosecurity policy to protect pig health; and
- Providing transportation that avoids undue stress on pigs.
Definition of Animal Abuse, Cruelty and Neglect
Animal abuse, cruelty and neglect includes, but is not limited to:
- Malicious kicking or beating of pigs;
- Hitting of pigs with man-made objects i.e. rods, bars, panels, etc.
- Offensive verbal abuse of pigs;
- Inappropriate use of hot shots;
- Use of hot shots on the front end of a pig;
- Excessive marking of pigs;
- Spray painting or tattooing the head of a pig;
- Failure to provide quality food, clean water, and proper medical treatment to pigs; and
- Failure to promptly euthanize all non-ambulatory animals or animals that have no chance of recovery.
Instructions for Reporting Animals Abuse, Cruelty or Neglect
If a willful act of abuse, cruelty or neglect is observed by any Team Member, the observer must immediately report the incident to the Lead Officer, Business Leader, or Jim Pillen within 24 hours of the incident. The observer may also anonymously report the abuse via telephone at 1-855-563-1690 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Consequences for Animal Abuse, Cruelty, or Neglect
Any Team Member who 1) is found to have committed a willful act of animal abuse, cruelty or neglect; or 2) witnesses an act of animal abuse, cruelty or neglect and fails to report the incident as outlined in this policy, will be immediately terminated and the matter will be referred to the applicable county attorney for prosecution.
No Retaliation Policy
No Team Member who, in good faith, reports animal abuse, cruelty, or neglect, shall suffer retaliation or an adverse employment consequence, unless the Team Member is self reporting.